About Rainbow Nursery Schools
Serving families in Richmond and Sheen since 1979……
Rainbow was established in 1979 and has been at the core of the local community ever since. Originally set up by Mrs Julia Hunter, she passed the Rainbow baton to Mrs Lavinia Wilkins in 2016. Mrs Hunter remains with Rainbow, on a part time basis,as part of the staff body.
Mrs Wilkins is an experienced primary school teacher with an Early Years specialism. She has over 30 years’ experience in the childcare sector and prior to taking over Rainbow she was raising her son. He is a Rainbow boy and left Rainbow when she joined in 2016.
At Rainbow, we believe that the first experiences children have independently from their parents is a very precious time. Our philosophy is that, in order for children to realise their full potential, they need to feel secure, happy, safe and valued. We aim to nurture a love of learning through investigation and participation building strong social skills and peer relationships which help prepare them for the transition to primary school and beyond.
Rainbow works very closely with parents and carers, providing regular feedback and assessment to encourage children to develop and explore through what interests them and to support and encourage them through areas they may find more challenging. We are in the process of introducing our electronic learning journals which will further enhance the link between home and school.
We very much look forward to welcoming you to Rainbow, where learning is child’s play.
Our day explained
- RAINBOW’s schedule is designed to be accommodating, while adhering to a basic routine of learning through free play and adult directed activities.
- As children arrive they self-register and a more formal daily attendance register is taken by a designated member of the Team.
- Free-play, which starts the day whether inside or out, is supervised and children are encouraged to mix and communicate with one another. Learning takes place in small groups which entails language & literacy, mathematics and knowledge and understanding of the world.
- A mid-morning break for milk/water and snack forms part of a social session. Children will be offered a seasonal selection of fresh fruit, dried fruit, rice cake with a healthy topping or breadstick to choose from.
- The second part of the morning incorporates creativity, dance, drama, music or cooking in groups, ending the session with a group story time.
We hold regular watching sessions & parent consultations to enable parents to meet one another and discuss their child’s development with the members of staff. We have a strong parent partnership, with parent representatives in each setting.
We hold a Christmas concert, a school outing and a Sports day in the Summer Term whereby all groups (morning and afternoon) attend collectively and we encourage parent participation on these days.
Rainbow Nursery School Curriculum
Personal, Social & Emotional Development
Communication & Language
Expressive Arts & Design
Understanding the world
Application & Policy Information
Click the button below for more information about application and our policies.
Apply for a place
If you would like a place for your child at one of our Rainbow Nursery Schools, please send us an application form.